Knock knock! World Environment Day is approaching! Are you prepared for it? World Environment Day is an annual event celebrated on June 5th to raise awareness and encourage action to protect our environment. It is also an opportunity for all of us to join forces toward a healthier and more sustainable Earth. Moreover, the day encourages individuals, communities, and corporations to participate in activities raising awareness and working towards environmental protection, conservation of natural resources, and biodiversity.
World Environment Day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 and celebrated yearly in over 140 countries worldwide. But wherever you are in the world, you can join the event!
This year’s World Environment Day theme, “Solutions to Plastic Pollution,” focuses on reminding people about their actions toward plastic pollution. The theme encourages us to take action to protect our environment and practice ways to reduce the use of plastic and plastic waste.
Just So You Know
An estimated 19-23 million tons of plastic end up in lakes, rivers, and seas annually. In addition, more than 400 million tonnes of plastic is also produced yearly.
Did you also know that tiny plastic particles are found in our food, water, and air? They are called Microplastics. In fact, a person may consume more or less 50,000 plastic particles in a year.
Join the Cause
There are numerous ways someone can participate in protecting Mother Nature. For example, doing small things or joining large projects is a great way to help our environment. Are you doing something right now in your household to help our environment, or have you joined any organizations in your community to help? If you haven’t started yet, let us help the environment!
- Bring reusable bags to the grocery store.
- Avoid purchasing over-packaged products.
- Join tree planting initiatives and/or beach clean-ups.
- Join online campaigns that promote reducing plastic use.
- Raise and donate money for nature conservation projects.
- Being mindful of your plastic use and consumption or avoiding single-use plastics altogether.
- Spread awareness about the cause and how we can protect our environment—raising awareness of how to reuse and recycle plastic.
- Research and join organizations that help promote the importance of our environment.
- Join the campaign for this year’s #BeatPlasticPollution by partnering with your local community and plastic clean-up groups.
- Check out World Environment Day’s website for more information on activities and actions by your city.
Whichever way you choose to get involved, your actions will make a difference!
World Environment Day reminds us we are all responsible for protecting our planet for future generations. Furthermore, the event also serves as a platform to raise awareness about climate change and its effects on our planet and how we can work towards mitigating them. Hence this year, let us all do our part to protect the environment and join in World Environment Day celebrations to create a healthier future for generations to come! We must learn to care for our environment and respect our planet.
What other ideas do you consider preparing for World Environment Day? Share your ideas with us. Finally, let us help our environment for us to live and flourish on our home planet.